Occupational PhysiotherapyWe know from employers that musculoskeletal problems are the most common cause of absence from work. The majority of absence is due to problems of back and neck pain, or RSI and most of these injuries are still caused by lifting, handling and carrying. It doesn’t really matter what type of work it is. Musculoskeletal injuries can affect all sectors from manual workers in construction to office based workers in banking and unfortunately these injuries can come at a considerable cost to employers.
Occupational physiotherapy support for injuries workersAs a result more organisations are looking to manage their musculoskeletal problems with physiotherapy. The high number of injuries and the costs of absence makes it imperative for organisations to look at an effective way to reduce their costs.
Making Occupational Physiotherapy cost-effective!The cost of providing Occupational Physiotherapy needs to be considered against the cost of musculoskeletal disorders to an organisation. There is a compelling case for the cost-effectiveness of occupational physiotherapy and organisations showing the greatest benefit are those with
• higher the costs per day of sickness absence results in the greater the savings from occupational physiotherapy
• Where a greater proportion of absence is due to musculoskeletal cause
• Where existing sickness absence management programme support a physiotherapy programme through new employment screening, ergonomic intervention and rehabilitation programmes.
How does Occupational Physiotherapy achieve this savings?Occupational Physiotherapy can help by
• Minimising absence – a reduction in sickness absence from treating the injury or condition and returning staff to work.
• Earlier treatment –patients treated more than 21 days from the injury are less likely to recover completely (potentially missing more work later), and take longer to return to work.
•reducing the waiting period for treatment increases the chance of them returning to work
• providing adjustments in the work place
• eliminating travel time away from work